Bionic Reporter

On the way back

December 10th, 2013

So here we are, just six days since what is expected to be the last surgery of my life =) and this, so far has been one of the smoothest recoveries I can remember. I was up walking and in a chair less than 24 hours after the surgery, which in and of itself took roughly four hours.

And I've been discharged already!

Gonna go out on a limb and say maybe, just maybe, it's because there is no more infection festering away! *lightly raps on wooden table*

Normally here is where I'd say: "Still waiting on results of one more test ..."

But honestly, no. The results from the specimen cultures taken from the Dec. 4 surgery all have turned up negative. Except for a post-surgery spell similar to the one from September -- when I needed two units of blood to make up for low levels of certain blood chemicals; I again needed two units of blood to compensate after this operation -- blood tests have proven to be stable and essentially show no lingering infection.

Not only that, but I have no IV, no PICC line or any other form of central line to deliver high doses of antibiotics. I will be on some form of oral antibiotic probably for the rest of my life, but small price to pay, I suppose.

And perhaps most telling: I haven't needed any painkillers since the second day after surgery!

Here's where I have to quote my surgeon, who says this is probably due not only to my being a diligent patient, but also to their experience at the Cleveland Clinic in handling these types of implant infections.

It'll still be a couple weeks in the dreaded chair. No real rehab to begin just yet. The biggest issue now is allowing the wound to heal properly. Once that happens, the bending of the knee will start slowly -- as of Tuesday it's been 11 weeks since I last bent the knee.

Will also have to get used to walking again. Since 1985, there has always been a 2-cm difference between the lengths of my two legs, with the surgical leg coming up on the short end. Now, they are roughly the same length.

So I guess my Christmas arrived 21 days early!!? Not too shabby!

3 Responses to “On the way back”

  1. Hawaii bob:

    Aloha! Good luck! I broke a leg, losta quarter of an inch on they're even! Geev um...stay FROSTY aloha hb

  2. makaha wahine:

    Good for you! Mele Kalikimaka came early so you can enjoy the season!

  3. ohiaforest3400:

    What great news! A real inspiration to others in the same or similar boat. Keep up the good work!

Leave a Reply

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Star-Advertiser's TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email